Pretty slow newsday, so here we go with the shameless plug. I'll try and keep the grandstanding to a minimum.
My Campaign Kickoff Party is coming up on Friday, January 6th at Tasty World. Music starts at 8pm, or so.
Adam Musick (from Southern Bitch), Heath Tolleson (of Last Picture Show), and Mother Jackson will grace the stage, as will I.
Look forward to meeting any or all of the regular crowd here at AthPo.
The short, bullet-point version of my platform goes like this:
- The smoking ban (the totalitarian local one, anyway) is bullshit. (go ahead and ask me why)
- The eastside needs more mixed-use development.
- Local enforcement of erosion-control ordinances at construction sites is abysmal, and MUST be improved.
- Improved mass transit and alternate transportation are neccessary to keep Athens growing within the boundaries of her land-use plan.
- Rental registration is un-American. If you can afford the rent, you get to live anywhere you want. That's freedom, baby.
- Students are people too. As are the nefarious, undesirable small business owners who generate millions of dollars in tax revenue selling alcohol downtown.( Too bad they make such great scapegoats.)
- The hospitality industry is a great way to bring money and jobs to Athens. Heavy industry is not.
- A minimum wage hike would do wonders for the working poor in ACC.
- We squander our civic moneys on brick crosswalks and fancy new green signs downtown. Meanwhile, the homeless shelter faces closure from a $60,000 shortfall. That's unacceptable.
- Money spent on art/music/PE/ etc. in k-12 education is money well spent. Sure, literacy is fundamentally more important, but school is fundamnetally boring. Any program we got that'll keep kids from sniffing airplane glue is worth its weight in... airplane glue.