Thursday, January 05, 2006

McCarter

By the way, the ABH has coverage on a story we broke last year.  (Well, technically, it was the last day of last year, but still almost a week ago.)

The story, of course, is States McCarter’s decision to stay in his seat rather than resign early.  The ABH story is worth a read, since Blake actually went to the trouble to call States and get a comment.

According to the ABH: “The District 8 commissioner said he reconsidered after County Attorney Bill Berryman and Elections Supervisor Gail Schrader told him that, to avoid a costly special election solely to select his replacement, he would have to resign by Aug. 4, leaving his seat empty for nearly five months before his successor took office. ‘I take my obligation very seriously, so I just couldn't allow that to happen,’ he said.”

Right.  Or perhaps he just decided that he wanted to stay on the Commission.  There’s nothing wrong with that either.

The ABH also quotes McCarter as saying, “’I have no inclination to run for another term,’ he said. ‘Am I going to change my mind? Highly unlikely.’”  

Yeah, because States never changes his mind.  Unless it’s about running for office.

No comments: