Saturday, September 23, 2006

And we're back! (cue the radio "zinger")

I also want to thank (I refuse to "give a shout out to") Publius and DoubleDawg for asking both Mitchell and myself to keep the party going.

I have lived in Athens for 10 years, and am Georgia born and raised. While I've never met our other three contributors, I've sparred with them a time or two online, so this should be fun. Don't bother checking out my blog It's a Blackfin Day, as I am woefully bad about updating it.

I'm a Democrat, but pissed off about it much of the time.

Just a couple of other races to talk about that Mitchell overlooked.

It's been a while since we heard much from the McKillip/Culpepper/Quick house race. McKillip seems to be lining up all of the usual suspects of local "progressive" supporters, and I'm pretty sure E.H. has a Bill Cowsert sign in his yard... which leaves us with Ms. Quick who has kept pretty quiet. Word on the street is that she is not your typical pro-life, pro-Sonny, ten comandments on the wall Republican, but I don't know her, and as a first timer, she has no record to look at. Anybody got any insight?

And even though he's "our congressman" for only a few more months, I just can't resist this John Barrow guy. Actually, this needs it's own post so...

look up....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, now that we've heard from the McKillip campaign folks...

Anyone else?

Todd Mitchell said...

The Daily Planet has an interesting blurb about Culpepper's independent status and race this morning. It also mentions this blog (cough, ahem).

Anonymous said...

UGAdemocrat sounds more like someone with Jane's campaign than Doug's, though obviously Jane and Doug supporters are generally one in the same.

Anonymous said...

Here we go again....for the record.

1) E.H. is not a republican. Check the voting record. Check the contributions. He has many friends on both sides of the aisle.

2) McKillip might take some liberal Athens ideals to the Dome, and that means he will get ABSOLUTELY NOTHING done like Haines and Kidd before him. He has no connections. He has no ideas. Just the party mantra. The end result: no support, no funds, nothing for Athens and no results.

3) E.H., on the other hand, is independent like many Athenians. He supports the Classic Center (helped get it built), the Greenway, and passenger rail (not exactly top Republican causes). He also is on a first name basis with the Governor and the Lt. Gov., both Senators, legislators on both sides, the director of the department of economic development, and many others. He has lived in Athens for 50+ years and knows more about this progressive town than most anyone.

E.H. will be a great choice for Athens, and I expect he will beat McKillip in a run off.

Also, for those of you checking out the campaigns visit www.ehculpepper.com and see the education plan that was released today.

Anonymous said...

"I believe that a Culpepper victory would be a win for the Republicans in the state House" - Jay Hanley, Secretary of the Oconee County Republican Party.

Anonymous said...

My best quote is from Culpepper himself. "I knew this would come up [referring to EH not paying his taxes], and I ran anyways. I think it says something about my character." - Me: I couldn't agree more.

Anonymous said...

First name basis with the Lt. Governor? I'm on a first name basis with Mark Taylor too and he told me E.H. needed to stick to making barbecue. Don't claim endorsements you don't have.